2014 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon & 2015 Chardonnay


2014 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 93 14.5% 750ml $75

This five-variety, Napa Valley blend is showing beautifully. Aromas of black cherry, black currant, gently toasted oak, caramel, scorched earth and milk chocolate rise effortlessly from the opaque, purple-black wine. Its full-bodied palate is supple with very fine and soft, but structural, tannins. Flavors of graphite, dark spice, chocolate, lavender and dried thyme weave around the core of nicely ripe black fruit. The 2014 Joseph Phelps Cabernet is ready now, without decanting, but will develop through 2025.

The blend is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc, all harvested from Joseph Phelps’ estate vineyards throughout Napa Valley. The wine aged 18 months in an assortment of oak barrels from five coopers. 45% of  the wood was new, the rest once-used. About 55% of the barrels were French, the remainder American.

2015 Joseph Phelps Chardonnay Freestone Vineyards Sonoma Coast 92+ 14.1% 750ml $55

Alluring aromas of ripe pear, green apple and baking spice are accented by butter, oak and baked peach in this cool-climate Chardonnay. The juicy, medium-bodied palate is lightly textured  and tangy, presenting long-lasting flavors of poached green apple, spice, lemon, yogurt and toast. The 2015 Joseph Phelps Chardonnay Freestone Vineyards is focused and intense with an energy that compels you to keep sipping.

Joseph Phelps’ estate vineyards in the Sonoma Coast AVA are located in the hamlet of Freestone, near the intersection of Bohemian Highway and Bodega Highway. Fresh ocean breezes and morning fog keep the site cool throughout the growing season. The soil is predominantly Goldridge sandy loam. A well-drained soil, formed when the area was in inland sea, it’s typical for that area and the Russian River Valley.

Check out my previous articles about Joseph Phelps:

Joseph Phelps Current Releases and New Customer Experiences – January 18, 2017

Tasting 13 Vintages of Joseph Phelps Insignia – January 16, 2017 at JJBuckley.com

Copyright Fred Swan 2017. Photo courtesy Joseph Phelps. All rights reserved.

+ There are no comments

Add yours